Rellenong bangus (stuffed milkfish) is a Filipino classic favorite. This dish is rich in Vitamin B12 which is known to help prevent anemia.
Rellenong Bangus Ingredients
- 3 pcs. medium bangus (milkfish)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pc medium onion, chopped
- 1 pc small carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen or cooked green peas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 can (140 g) tomato sauce
- 1 pc egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp calamansi (Philippine lemon) juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp iodized fine salt (or 1 1/2 tsp iodized rock salt)
- 1/4 cup flour
Procedure for Cooking Rellenong Bangus
- After cleaning the fish, remove the fish meat through the head (vendors may be able to do this for free in wet markets).
- Marinate skin and flesh of bangus in calamansi juice, soy sauce and pepper for 30 minutes.
- Simmer fish meat in water for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Remove bones and flake meat. Set aside.
- Sauté garlic, onion and carrot.
- Add green peas, raisins, tomato sauce and fish meat. Season with salt.
- Cook while stirring for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool and then stir in the egg.
- Drain bangus skin.
- Divide sautéed mixture into three portions and stuff each bangus with sautéed mixture.
- Sprinkle fish with or roll it in flour, then fry over medium heat until brown.
- Slice each bangus into three parts and serve with ketchup.
This recipe yields 9 servings.