Craving for stuffed pepper? Here is a chicken apple sausage and rice stuffed peppers recipe that I got to try the other day. I’d like to share this with you:
- 1 cup jasmine or white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 large bell peppers, red, yellow or orange
- 2 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 package (12 ounces) chicken apple sausage, sliced on thin bias
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped red apple
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- Prepare rice according to package directions, substituting chicken broth for water.
- Preheat oven to 350 Farenheit.
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and veins. Rub peppers with 1 teaspoon olive oil and slightly salt and pepper inside. Place peppers cut side up in a baking dish. Roast for 30 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute sausage until lightly browned.
- Add onions and celery and continue to saute for 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add cranberries, apple, apricots, raisins, sage and oregano. Cook and stir until fruit is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice and heat through. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Fill prepared peppers with sausage/rice mixture. Serve immediately.
This recipe serves 4 people.